Clare Oasis is exploring two potential scenarios in the development of The Clare Oasis Center: buying an existing building and undertaking renovation; and buying land for new construction. With the guidance of The NonprofitCenter Network, Clare Oasis is working with developers, consultants, government officials and architectural and urban planning.
The tentative core criteria being considered include:
Size and Space
- 12+ acres of land. We anticipate a center with multiple buildings. The
Gathering Center (the hub of our nonprofit organizations, meeting spaces,
services and programs), Apartment Complex, Retreat Center, Youth
Center, All Season Gazebo and Parking Structure, as well as, Outdoor
- Space that promotes safety, welcome, flow, light and a sense of community.
- Full accessibility.
- Energy-efficient and environmentally appropriate.
- Accessible to public transport: directly accessible by bus.
- Appropriate for organizations serving multiple constituencies throughout
Milwaukee – is accessible metro-wide.
- In proximity to the lake, downtown and emergency services.
- Specific South Side locations — Bay View, Cudahy, Saint Francis and South Milwaukee.
- Cash and Carry: Grants, contributions, matching gifts, payroll deductions,
matching employee volunteer hours
- In-Kind Support: Products, events and meeting facilities, office space, gallery
space, printing and other in-kind services, donated equipment, surplus
furniture, office machines, paper, etc.
- People Power: Volunteers, loaned executives, board members, specilized
- Sponsorship: Events, campaigns, advertisements
- Consumer Philanthropy: Self-produced products, designer-produced products
- Civic Leadership: Advocacy—testimony on behalf of legislative or regulatory
changes; letters writing; endorsements
- Loans: Working capital, facility-related